Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Stampin' Up! Washington DC Trip

Thanks to all of you I was able to earn the Stampin' Up! Getaway Incentive Trip to Washington DC this year.  I just got back on Monday afternoon and thought I would share a few photos with you.

Stampin' Up! put us up at the Mayflower Hotel on Connecticut Avenue.  The hotel was proclaimed by President Truman to be the "Second Best Address" after the White House.  Upon opening in 1925, it was said the hotel had more gold leaf than any other U.S. building except the Library of Congress, and through careful preservation, these luxurious details still tell this Washington, DC hotel's history.   The hotel is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and Historic Hotels of America.

This is me right after check-in on the first day.  I was sitting at the desk with a map trying to figure out a plan of attack.  We only noticed later that I was photo-bombed in the mirror.  LOL.  Love this photo!!!
 
Day One found us just walking and walking and walking around the Dupont Circle area.
 
Day Two - We took a tour at the Bureau of Engraving and Printing.  According to this chart, I found out that I'm worth about $1.5 to $1.6 million.  My husband is so excited about that news.   I was hoping for samples at the end of the tour, but my hopes were in vain.  No lovely new money was passed out to the tourists.
 
We also toured the Holocaust Museum the first day.  No photos to share on that one.  Much too depressing.
 
Day Three was spent touring most of the monuments.  Stampin' Up! provided buses for us that day.  The buses dropped you off at street corners and you walked and walked some more.  After one bus stop we decided that just wasn't for us.  So, we hired a chariot for the afternoon.  I'd like you to meet our charioteer.  This young man was wonderful...so knowledgeable about the area and all the monuments.  He served as a Marine and is a history buff so he decided to spend the summer running a pedicab.  He was fabulous and definitely not hard on the eyes. 
 
The next photo is a portion of the WWII Memorial.  I so wish my dad would have been with us to see this.  He served in WWII as a Chief Gunner's Mate.  He would have been so proud. 
 
As you all know, the final photo for today is the Washington Monument and I took this photo from the FDR Monument across the river.  Such a beautiful sight.
 
Thanks for stopping by today and sharing my travels.  I'll stop in again tomorrow with a few more photos and a little commentary.
 

No comments: